Newcastle Crown Court heard the 28-year old man who was employed by Park Gate and Company Ltd (PGC), suffered extensive burns on 21 December 2014 while he was carrying out electrical work for Armstrong World Industries Limited (AWI) at a site in Gateshead.
The employee cut a live cable which caused serious burns to his face, arms and hands.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found both firms failed to adequately identify whether the cables were live or dead prior to work commencing.
It was also found that Park Gate failed to provide employees with a specific safe system of work.
Park, Gate and Company Ltd of Kingstown Broadway, Kingstown Industrial Estate, Carlisle pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,012.52.
Armstrong World Industries Limited, of Armstrong House, Market Square, Uxbridge pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £400,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,082.92.
http://shellystearooms.com/shellys-tea-rooms-news-spring-2014/ Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Victoria Crofton said:
“There were serious failures on the part of both companies in this case. Electricity supplies should be made dead and proved to be dead before work starts.”
HSE International Magazine is the leading independent publication in corporate responsibility, health, safety and environmental practice, covering every industry and business sector worldwide.
We provide you with the latest news, views, legislative changes, industry awards coverage and comment from individuals and organisations at the forefront of successful health, safety and occupational risk management.