HSE International

Electricity North West fined after worker died falling from power lines

In 2013, John Flowers, an experienced linesman, fell six metres while carrying out routine maintenance to remove ivy from power lines. An investigation…

Two companies fined following unsafe asbestos investigation in Surrey

Work was carried out on a property in Leatherhead, Surrey without establishing the location, presence and extent of asbestos containing materials on site…

Salford labourer fractured neck and back after refurbishment project wall collapse

An investigation found that Workspace Design and Build Ltd of Manchester One had no suitable risk assessment in place, nor was adequate PPE being worn by…

Ejection seat firm in court over Red Arrows pilot death

Red Arrows pilot Flt Lt Sean Cunningham, 35, was injured after being ejected from a Hawk T1 jet while on the ground at RAF Scampton in 2011. He died in hospital…

Company fined after worker loses life falling from roof

A Birmingham maintenance company has been fined after a worker died as a result of falling from the roof of a five-story building.

ALTRINCHAM BUILDING CONTRACTOR SENTENCED OVER BLOCK COLLAPSE

A Cheshire building company has been sentenced for safety failings at a building site in Altrincham where they were building residential houses and apartments.

North Warwickshire takeaway owner fined for hygiene offences

A North Warwickshare takeaway owner has been fined £33,208 after a catalogue of food hygiene horrors posed a “serious risk to public health and safety.”

On inspection, breaches in hygiene standards included uncovered containers of food, sauces left on the floor, a filthy sink and cloths and even traces of blood in the freezer.

No food safety procedures or food labelling systems were in place despite continuous advice from North Warwickshire Borough Council.

Salik Mohammed Miah, 42, of Regent Road, Handsworth, director of Maya Midlands Limited, pleaded guilty to eight food hygiene offences at Nuneaton Magistrates Court.

The council’s food safety officers had originally raised concerns about the restaurant following an inspection in August 2015.

“The court acknowledged that these food premises were a serious risk to public health and safety and they have had a poor record of compliance since the restaurant opened,” Assistant Chief Executive and solicitor to the council Steve Maxey said.

“Mr Miah narrowly escaped a £48,000 fine, which was only reduced because of his early guilty plea to the eight offences and the fact that a recent inspection revealed that the restaurant is now finally complying with the law.”

From February 1, magistrates now have the power to impose an unlimited fine and can also take into account the risk of harm to customers rather than just the offences.

This was North Warwickshire Borough Council’s first food hygiene prosecution since the increase in penalties.

Original Source: http://bit.ly/1SUb7Fz

error: © 2018 Olympus Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.